Total Pageviews

Friday, January 3, 2014

Grace and Mourning: What Jesus truly teaches us regarding grieving in the Beatitudes


It was a simple text message from a good friend on the anniversary of my sister’s death that read, “My prayers are with you and your family today.”  I responded very simply, “Thank you for your prayers and thanks to Him for the many graces received.”  The dialogue continued, “I know the first year of mourning can be very hard, but there is something different and special about the thirteenth month.”  And as readily as this verbal exchange with a dear friend came into view, it easily faded into the periphery.

Later that next month I visited with one of my surviving sisters at her family home.  It was a simple visit with some common hospitality that a dear sibling would offer.  She said, “Can I get you anything?” 

I was already at the coffee machine.  In the kitchen there was one of those modern one-cup gizmos that offered convenience, selection and the tidiness of coffee and filter in a simple and tidy little package.  I saw next to the coffee machine that there was another rotating “gizmo” for putting the unused “k-cups” on display.  There were only four or five of these there, most of the slots in the utensil lay empty.

I paused for a moment, unsure why.  “There is more coffee in the garage if you want”, said my sister from the adjoining room.  I ambled over to the garage and found the box of coffee as I expected to see it: more of the same “flavor”.  You see, my sister and brother-in-law embrace simplicity of life when it comes to coffee.  You can have what they have but one should not hope for the cornucopia of flavors and styles that most purveyors of k-cups offer.  I knew this but I went into the garage anyway, still unsure why.

What came next seemed quite natural, but was an unexpected surprise.  I would say that what occurred, upon further reflection, was perhaps the awareness of some profound grace in operation. 

I removed the box of coffee and brought it into the kitchen.  Carefully, I filled all the empty circles of the gizmo with new, fresh k-cups.  For some reason I did this simple exercise very meticulously, with care and with love.

Once the coffee was brewed my sister returned to the kitchen.  She, the Catechist and “soccer” Mom is a master of tasks.  I would not have been surprised that day if in my absence she accomplished much.  Typically, she responds to emails whilst directing homework whilst conversing both on the phone and with one of her children.  These things would have been no surprise to me then because many times this mastery of multi-tasking happens in my presence.  This is simply standard procedure in her lovely but busy household.

Our conversation continued quite naturally in the kitchen.  I was gazing at one of her many pictures of our eldest sister, Patricia Ann.  Trish died just thirteen months before and was the subject of the text message I received earlier.  Like the many pictures of her that adorn our walls and coffee tables, she was smiling.  I asked very humbly, “Do you think it would be true if I said Trisha smiled more in the last years of her life than the rest of her life, altogether?”  My sister replied, “Yes, without a doubt”.  The photo that my sister and I were looking upon at that moment provided testimony to this: the ever smiling Trish, fatigued by disease but glorious in her embrace of life as seen in her ever widening, beautiful smile.

Trish died of cancer after a heroic two and a half years struggle with the terrible disease.  Yet my favorite photo of her is the one that I am sure she wanted us to have the most.  She is smiling, ear-to-ear with eyes alight, sitting up in her hospice bed.  It was taken literally hours before she breathed her last breath.

I returned from my ruminations to my youngest sister standing with me in her kitchen, steaming hot coffee cup in my hand.  She was off and back multi-tasking again while I drifted.  I looked at her and asked rhetorically, “Do you realize what I just did?” I continued, “I went into the garage to get more coffee to fill your dispenser.”  She smiled as I continued further.  “That was so Trish!”   Quietly, she said, “I know.” We both smiled, noting the moment of grace ever present in our hearts.

There is something special about that thirteenth month.  This suggestion from my friend and her text is worth a closer look.

After my sister’s death, I would say there was a real lift, an emotional consolation that was very real.  It was grounded in the intellectual understanding that she no longer was suffering with the disease.  Sure, we hoped she would survive and “beat” the prognosis of stage-four cancer and many of us were also praying for a miraculous healing.  Nonetheless after her death there was emotional relief for us who loved her so very dearly.

However, spiritual consolation takes some time, time that sometimes we are unwilling to give.  We must embrace mourning, and if we look towards our Lord and Master for help we are consoled with his words.  “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted” (Mathew 5:4).  We would be doing well to heed to His teaching.

Father Robert Barron in his Catholicism series (1) offers, perhaps a more appropriate English translation of the original Greek than that of Saint Matthew.  Barron asks that we substitute “Happy” for “Blessed”.  He explained that true happiness; in fact a disposition towards gratitude steeped in grace directed towards the Creator is necessary for consoling grace.  Fr. Barron suggests that this can be attained by practicing the Beatitudes in a way that which Jesus wants us to.  Therefore his translation would read, “Happy are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.”

When we are willing to enter into the mystery of the Incarnation through a historical lens we learn that as a Jewish man Jesus knew the tradition of formal mourning well.  It was not simply an emotional reaction to loss, but a deep cultural practice steeped in the expression of their Jewish faith. 
Then, as now in the Orthodox Jewish communities, mourning had at least three distinct stages: immediate, proximate and remote.

First the immediate family would sit shivah (2) for the first week after the burial.  They would cease any regular activity, including work, cooking and formal mealtimes.  Consolers would come to their house and “sit” with them in their bereavement.

Next would be the remainder of the first month.  They could return to work, but clearly they would continue their morning.  Perhaps they would remain wholly or partially in black clothing and they would be granted a certain liberty to come and go to work as they willed.

Finally, for the remainder of that first year of mourning they would ease back into normal routines, always expressing in some manner their loss.  This could be verbally as well as other ways within their community while at worship.  The year would end with a memorial liturgy to close out formally the period of bereavement. 

I think we can take a page from our elder brothers and sisters of the Judeo-Christian tradition.  When we do so, we may be surprised by the graces we receive.  Another benefit is to truly be of the world, but not in the world (Jn 17:14).  This can be naturally challenging in a society that seeks instant gratification at nearly every turn.  

If we submit to the “world”, than we are being told something very different than what we need to hear, that patience is necessary to truly grieve the loss of a loved one.  Our prudential judgment then should be to listen and pray over the words of the Beatitudes.  They can teach us not only to desire these available graces, but to strive for them.

Fr. D.A. Suglia
sscm.sacrprep@gmail.com

 Fr. Suglia is a Parochial Vicar at the Parish of Saints Cyril and Methodius, located in Deer Park, New York in the Diocese of Rockville Centre drvc.org.  One of his passions is the implementation of the "New Evangelization".  He has several blogs, one of which specifically promotes Adult Catechisis and is entitled, The Academy of Higher Learning 


-------------









(2) Jewish period of mourning (Hebrew: שבעה‎), literally: seven.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiva_(Judaism)

No comments:

Servant of God

Servant of God
Catherine de Hueck Doherty

Catherine de Hueck Doherty

Catherine de Hueck Doherty
Her "poustinia" Cabin

St. Ambrose

St. Ambrose
Converting Theodosius

Padre Pio

Padre Pio
In Adoration at His Monastary

St. Anthony of Padua

St. Anthony of Padua
Doctor of the Church

Paul David Hewson, a.k.a. "Bono"

Paul David Hewson, a.k.a. "Bono"
2009 Tribeca Film Festival, NY

Brother Wayne Teasdale

Brother Wayne Teasdale
just how I remember him....

Tips on Links

Hello and welcome to my blog. Pax et Bonum!

Some of the links that are offered on this page are somehow faulty. If you choose to navigate them, you may have to remove one of the "http//" from your browser tab. Sorry for the inconvenience but I'm at a loss as to how to correct. I will try and contact the webmaster.

Yours in Christ,
Dennis Anthony Suglia
dennis.suglia@gmail.com

At another "mass" at the great Cathedral in NY

At another "mass" at the great Cathedral in NY

The Supreme Pontiff

The Supreme Pontiff
The Holy Father, a few feet away

HH Benedict XVI

HH Benedict XVI
Encounter at Dunwoodie: That's me in the lower right